Skip to main content

WHAT MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS SAY ABOUT MY VEGANISM

 


I decided to switch from being vegetarian to vegan to see if it would improve my health. I was struggling with depression, anxiety, obesity, chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. Initially, I was eating a lot of vegan junk food and I only noticed an improvement in my anxiety levels. Once I got used to eating a plant-based diet and had a good variety of healthy recipes to use, I largely ditched the highly processed foods and that’s when I started to lose weight, experience reduced levels of pain, increased energy and improved mood. I did also stop drinking alcohol, which I sure helped. I’m now a healthy weight and my health issues are managed without any medications. A vegan diet may not always be a silver bullet, but I do think it can make a big difference. Perhaps part of it is that when you care enough about yourself to put mainly good, natural food in your body, then you’re likely to look after yourself better in other ways too. I am very happy to live without eggs and dairy in exchange for greatly improved health.



I have been vegan for only one and a half months but I already have noticed positive changes.  I have always suffered from anxiety and depression but since becoming vegan I feel much calmer and more content. I also sleep very deeply now whereas before changing to a vegan diet I would wake up in the night sweating and often wouldn’t sleep very well. Having read an article by Dr Elizabeth Blackburn about changes that can happen after three months of a vegan diet, I hope that further positive changes may happen for me and I hope that this is only the start of an improvement in my health and well-being.



In my late thirties, I began to get wheezy and chesty. I also had a near-constant cold. I was prescribed a brown ‘preventer’ inhaler and a blue ‘reliever’ inhaler, both of which I used regularly.

I always considered myself to be fit; I had run regularly during my twenties, a few injuries and niggles meant that I slowed down in my thirties but I still hiked, walked the dogs, etc., and so thought I was quite active. My wife and I had been vegetarian for years then but she made the decision to go vegan. I’ll admit that I wasn’t very supportive initially, I didn’t understand veganism and why she wanted to do something so ‘extreme’.

She didn’t try to influence me, knowing that it would likely have the opposite effect, but I ate all of the meals she cooked and so my dairy intake naturally decreased. I also glanced at the odd Viva!life magazine strategically placed around the house. I then came across a series of books about long-distance running Born To Run by Christopher McDougall, Eat & Run by Scott Jurek, and Finding Ultra by Rich Roll. Suddenly a vegan diet wouldn’t just allow me to run; it would help me to run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Years in Japan: A Young Couple's Journey of Cultural Immersion

 Japan has long been known for its unique and fascinating culture, which attracts millions of visitors each year. However, for young couples Eric and Felia from Indonesia, Japan was more than just a travel destination; it was a place to call home for the next two years. In this book, they share their journey of cultural immersion, personal growth, and discovery in the Land of the Rising Sun. Eric's pursuit of a Master's degree to improve his business skills brought the couple to Japan, while Felia's passion for food and culinary traditions led her to explore the diverse and delicious cuisine of Japan. Together, they navigated the challenges of adjusting to life in a new country, learned about the education and business systems, and explored the vibrant culture and traditions of Japan. From Tokyo's bustling food scene to the serene beauty of Kyoto's temples, Eric and Felia's journey took them on a fascinating and eye-opening adventure through Japan's...

I Love Animals TOO MUCH to eat them

My feelings of hesitation and weariness towards animal products are all too familiar. Ever since I was little, I remember struggling with this internal conflict… especially towards meat. Family dinners and gatherings always included meat, always. Meat was the “main staple” and we didn’t have any vegetarians in the family. My brother and I drank cow’s milk with dinner every night while growing up, because milk has “calcium” and that is what you are supposed to drink in order to grow big and strong, right? Well, that is what most parents are led to believe.  Although cow’s milk is meant for baby cows like breast milk is meant for infants. Weird to say (or write, rather)… but when you think about it, the concept just makes sense. The word “vegan” never came up until one of my elective classes during college at Purdue University. Animal Ethics. I chose this class not realizing the sadness it would entail, and the emotions it would stir up. My professor was 100% vegan in every aspect...