Skip to main content

I HATE ANIMAL CRUELTY


I realize most documentaries show the worst of the worst and not all slaughterhouses run the same but I still saw what I saw… it still happened to those animals and happens everyday… I’m unable to remove the images from my mind.? Feeling those feelings opened a new door to an unknown world. Those same familiar feelings from years before, but with a higher level of understanding and compassion. After the documentary ended, I sat there for a while. Stunned. Numb. Confused. Then came the sobbing. Then the thinking about what our world has come to. 


Then feeling disgusted with society. Disgusted with myself as well, that I had been so ignorant and oblivious to what was happening behind slaughter house walls but mainly behind big corporations. That the big name meat and dairy brands are powerful, full of lies and are absolute experts with their marketing and labeling. That for the most part, there are no happy cows or free-range chickens (unless you have a chicken coupe in your backyard). That cage-free doesn’t mean what we think it means. That we don’t know any better because we are swarmed daily with happy dairy ads, commercials and marketing schemes. That factory farming is very much existent, not to mention all the hormones and antibiotics that they pump into the animals to keep them from getting sick and to speed up the growth process, which is all too common, and is also powered by the big name brands connected to the government. That our food has become so processed and nutrient-lacking, we think we are eating healthy from the labels and what society says (got milk?), when we are actually missing the point completely, and it’s not our fault. That we don’t need animal products to thrive. Animal protein consumption is causing disease left and right due to the acid forming properties in the body. That plant based eating can resolve numerous ailments in millions of people. 


 That my life would never be the same. My seatbelt was buckled. This time, I was ready.? Since that night I have not eaten any animal products. Especially after those images and videos which are now burned into my brain… I wanted nothing to do with meat or cheese or milk or any of it. I made the connection to a plant based lifestyle, to what my body needs in order to thrive and to all animals. This realization was pretty empowering. My boyfriend had no idea what he was coming home to! He walked in the door to me sobbing, mascara running down my face with a wine bottle almost empty.. (!!) my world had turned upside down for a brief moment. He figured it was just a phase. This was no phase, this was a major life change.? Plus, it led me to a turning point in my life. My job satisfaction had been stagnant at zero since graduating and landing my first real corporate job. I had been wanting to start a blog for years but never knew what I would write about. This was it!! I had found my niche!! It was one of those magical moments I’d always wanted to experience. One where you know in your heart you are on the right path, you are exactly where you need to be. I feel grateful everyday for that Saturday night in. Since then, I’ve watched numerous other documentaries, read books, articles and immersed myself in learning everything about plant based nutrition. I’ve become a nutrition junkie, wellness addict, health guru and plant based advocate. 



 Living vegan is unfamiliar for many people, which is why I created The Glowing Fridge – to shed light on this heated yet growing topic, to spread awareness and inspiration, to create deliciously vibrant recipes and offer encouragement. Going vegan doesn’t have to be scary or difficult. It’s back to the basics. It’s simple. It’s delicious. It’s real. It’s not processed. It’s whole foods from nature and ultimately, what you make it out to be. Now I know what some of you are thinking. You don’t want to picture the process of how your food gets to your plate – it’s easier not to, I know. Most people would shake their heads and say they don’t want to see it or hear about it, they just want to enjoy their cheeseburgers and milkshakes and be oblivious like everyone else. That used to be me until I took a risk that was out of the ordinary, uncomfortable and far from the norm. It’s easy to eat at a classic restaurant or pass through the drive-thru and make traditional family recipes… but it’s also easy to whip up a delicious, nourishing vegan meal in 5 minutes. People don’t see it that way though. Humans stick to what they know and don’t want to go through extra trouble if they don’t have to because they’re lazy and tired! They’ve given up. That is no way to live life though, we deserve way more than that. We have one shot. One life. One body. Being vegan is not as hard as society makes it out to be. Vegan is new and unfamiliar, that’s all – just like anything else. It’s not about deprivation, dieting or counting calories, it’s about adding in foods your body will love and will recognize as actual food that it can use . Real, living, colorful, whole foods found in nature. 



 FOOD IS FUEL.?FOOD IS ENERGY. FOOD IS NOURISHMENT. This lifestyle has impacted my life in so many ways! After feeling so healthy and alive, I could never go back to animal products. The biggest benefit for me was the feeling that my clothes fit better than ever as well as clear, glowing skin with a healthy tone that I’ve never had before. My skin is no longer dull, it’s smooth and improving everyday. I don’t have to wear as much makeup as I used to. Energy has been another major plus. Because I am feeding my cells food that it can utilize as fuel, my body functions better than ever – especially my digestion. After I drink my favorite smoothie, I swear I can feel the vitamins buzzing through my veins. I can feel the energy from the food. More energy means more exercise too. Strong is the new sexy! I want everyone to experience these positive changes. My mindset is more positive (I mean not all the time, lets be real, I still PMS) but there is a new spiritual light inside me. I believe that’s because I am no longer consuming foods that are filled with anxiety, fear and pain. Following my intuition is my driving force, and my intuition is crystal clear. For the most part, I feel well and energized every single day. Who knew our bodies could feel this good?! They are meant to feel like this, I swear. I could go on and on but if you are looking for a healthy change or you want to lose weight FOR GOOD, this is the way to go You can live an amazing, fulfilling and satisfying life. Your body is powerful and will reward you if you feed it an abundance of plant based foods, its as simple as that. 



Fruits, Vegetables, Leafy Greens, Whole Grains, Nuts, Seeds, Legumes and yes, even dark chocolate for all my fellow chocolate addicts 🙂 Whether you want to take baby steps and incorporate more vegetables into your daily life or go full throttle like I did, that is up to you. There is no “right” way to transition. You could start by incorporating non-dairy milk, more fresh vegetables, fresh fruit and grains like oats and quinoa into your diet while slowly eliminating the animal products. Allow your body to adjust. You have to find what works for you. It’s a journey and a learning process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS SAY ABOUT MY VEGANISM

  I decided to switch from being vegetarian to vegan to see if it would improve my health. I was struggling with depression, anxiety, obesity, chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. Initially, I was eating a lot of vegan junk food and I only noticed an improvement in my anxiety levels. Once I got used to eating a plant-based diet and had a good variety of healthy recipes to use, I largely ditched the highly processed foods and that’s when I started to lose weight, experience reduced levels of pain, increased energy and improved mood. I did also stop drinking alcohol, which I sure helped. I’m now a healthy weight and my health issues are managed without any medications. A vegan diet may not always be a silver bullet, but I do think it can make a big difference. Perhaps part of it is that when you care enough about yourself to put mainly good, natural food in your body, then you’re likely to look after yourself better in other ways too. I am very happy to live without eggs and da...

Two Years in Japan: A Young Couple's Journey of Cultural Immersion

 Japan has long been known for its unique and fascinating culture, which attracts millions of visitors each year. However, for young couples Eric and Felia from Indonesia, Japan was more than just a travel destination; it was a place to call home for the next two years. In this book, they share their journey of cultural immersion, personal growth, and discovery in the Land of the Rising Sun. Eric's pursuit of a Master's degree to improve his business skills brought the couple to Japan, while Felia's passion for food and culinary traditions led her to explore the diverse and delicious cuisine of Japan. Together, they navigated the challenges of adjusting to life in a new country, learned about the education and business systems, and explored the vibrant culture and traditions of Japan. From Tokyo's bustling food scene to the serene beauty of Kyoto's temples, Eric and Felia's journey took them on a fascinating and eye-opening adventure through Japan's...

I Love Animals TOO MUCH to eat them

My feelings of hesitation and weariness towards animal products are all too familiar. Ever since I was little, I remember struggling with this internal conflict… especially towards meat. Family dinners and gatherings always included meat, always. Meat was the “main staple” and we didn’t have any vegetarians in the family. My brother and I drank cow’s milk with dinner every night while growing up, because milk has “calcium” and that is what you are supposed to drink in order to grow big and strong, right? Well, that is what most parents are led to believe.  Although cow’s milk is meant for baby cows like breast milk is meant for infants. Weird to say (or write, rather)… but when you think about it, the concept just makes sense. The word “vegan” never came up until one of my elective classes during college at Purdue University. Animal Ethics. I chose this class not realizing the sadness it would entail, and the emotions it would stir up. My professor was 100% vegan in every aspect...