Skip to main content

REASONS I STOP EATING MEAT




Veganism has been a transformational journey for me. A journey about compassion and also a journey about pain. It still hurts me so deeply to see all of the sufferings in the world. At the same time, it warms my heart that people are becoming more open to this lifestyle and saving animals as a result. Besides this friction between pain and joy, they’ve been some other significant learnings since I became vegan almost three years ago. In this post, I’ll be sharing my honest experiences and lessons of what it’s like to be vegan. This is not a post about glorifying veganism. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. 



I think many vegans are so focused on putting themselves in the best light in an attempt to inspire others to make the change. I get it. This very blog is a prime�example of that. However, there’s also value in absolute honesty in what it’s really like to live a vegan lifestyle. It’s refreshing to see the challenges and what you could potentially expect. Note: since publishing this post, we’ve also recorded a podcast episode about the vegan trade-off. So without further ado, here are my top 6 honest experiences of what it’s like to be vegan.



Coming out as a vegan in your social circle is a big deal. I know it shouldn’t be, but it’s understandable as so many of our experiences together are associated with food.

Special holidays, going out with friends, watching television are all things we commonly do when sharing a meal. I know my family has specific restaurants we go to on a regular basis.

So when you decide to do something differently, it can take some time for your loved ones to adjust.

I remember in the first six months of being vegan, watching those around me sigh and make comments because we chose not to eat certain foods anymore.

The good news, at least in my personal experience, is that your friends and family really come around and become super supportive over time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS SAY ABOUT MY VEGANISM

  I decided to switch from being vegetarian to vegan to see if it would improve my health. I was struggling with depression, anxiety, obesity, chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. Initially, I was eating a lot of vegan junk food and I only noticed an improvement in my anxiety levels. Once I got used to eating a plant-based diet and had a good variety of healthy recipes to use, I largely ditched the highly processed foods and that’s when I started to lose weight, experience reduced levels of pain, increased energy and improved mood. I did also stop drinking alcohol, which I sure helped. I’m now a healthy weight and my health issues are managed without any medications. A vegan diet may not always be a silver bullet, but I do think it can make a big difference. Perhaps part of it is that when you care enough about yourself to put mainly good, natural food in your body, then you’re likely to look after yourself better in other ways too. I am very happy to live without eggs and da...

Two Years in Japan: A Young Couple's Journey of Cultural Immersion

 Japan has long been known for its unique and fascinating culture, which attracts millions of visitors each year. However, for young couples Eric and Felia from Indonesia, Japan was more than just a travel destination; it was a place to call home for the next two years. In this book, they share their journey of cultural immersion, personal growth, and discovery in the Land of the Rising Sun. Eric's pursuit of a Master's degree to improve his business skills brought the couple to Japan, while Felia's passion for food and culinary traditions led her to explore the diverse and delicious cuisine of Japan. Together, they navigated the challenges of adjusting to life in a new country, learned about the education and business systems, and explored the vibrant culture and traditions of Japan. From Tokyo's bustling food scene to the serene beauty of Kyoto's temples, Eric and Felia's journey took them on a fascinating and eye-opening adventure through Japan's...

I Love Animals TOO MUCH to eat them

My feelings of hesitation and weariness towards animal products are all too familiar. Ever since I was little, I remember struggling with this internal conflict… especially towards meat. Family dinners and gatherings always included meat, always. Meat was the “main staple” and we didn’t have any vegetarians in the family. My brother and I drank cow’s milk with dinner every night while growing up, because milk has “calcium” and that is what you are supposed to drink in order to grow big and strong, right? Well, that is what most parents are led to believe.  Although cow’s milk is meant for baby cows like breast milk is meant for infants. Weird to say (or write, rather)… but when you think about it, the concept just makes sense. The word “vegan” never came up until one of my elective classes during college at Purdue University. Animal Ethics. I chose this class not realizing the sadness it would entail, and the emotions it would stir up. My professor was 100% vegan in every aspect...